1. “Friends” of Environmental Justice will meet Thursday, May 10th at 7 pm in the Social Hall to discuss certification in the UUAs Green Sanctuary program. Check out the website https://www.uua.org/environment/sanctuary before the meeting, if you have time.
2. We are honored to welcome local organic farmer and educator, Buddy Walker, from Empower Organic Farm and Buying Group in Umatilla, to speak to us about the interdependence of the health our soils with our own health. He will educate us about how to select produce and where to get healthier food. The presentation will be in our UUCLC sanctuary on Thursday, May 17th at 7 pm.
3. Oklawaha Valley Audubon Society of Lake County will host a program on “How to Identify Common Insects” by expert Rebecca Smith, Environmental Scientist and OVAS Audubon Director at Large at 2 pm on Sunday May 6th see the bulletin board for additional details
4. Candi Tipton will be offering training sessions in the Chalice Children’s Room May 6th & May 20th 9:30-10:30 for anyone interested in becoming a leader/assistant leader for children(intants-5th graders). Please, attend one of these brief sessions to share your talents & time by becoming a volunteer in this important part UUCLC.
5. CHALICE CAFE VARIETY SHOW AND WINE TASTING! This event sponsored by the Fundraising Committee will take place Saturday, May 12. The wine tasting will start at 6:00 PM in the narthex. The Variety Show will take place in the Social Hall, aka the Chalice Cafe, beginning at 7:00 PM. The suggested donation for the wine tasting will be$5.00/person. Those attending the Variety Show will be asked to make a Freewill Donation. Funds raised will go toward paying our members who made loans for the building construction. This will be a fun event; be sure to save the date, May 12!
6. Help UUCLC purchase more chairs. See the Giving Tree in the Social hall to buy a red chair for sanctuary for $100 or a black chair for Social Hall for $25. We need 30 red chairs and 25 black. The sooner we get the donations, the sooner we will have enough seating. Thank you.
Monday—— Furnishings Commitee 11 a.m.- 1 p.m.
Meditation at 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Tuesday——Tai Chi at 8:45-9:45 a.m. Members only
WRaP at 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Fundraising Commitee 7-9 p.m.
Weds——— Women’s Covenant Group 10 a.m.- 12 p.m.
Choir Practice 7- 8 p.m.
Thursday—- Science & Rationality 10:30 a.m.- 12 p.m.
Environmental Justice 7- 9 p.m.
Saturday—- Children’s Room Commitee 9:30-10:30 a.m
Variety Show & Wine Tasting 6- 8 p.m.
ONGOING CLASSES AND GROUPS
Tai Chi for Health by Chris Cleveland
Tuesdays from January 9-May 22 (no class March 27), 8:45-9:45 am, in Social Hall
Learn a gentle movement routine done standing or seated. You can join anytime, and get caught up. Tai Chi helps to improve balance, posture, mental focus, blood pressure and arthritis pain.
Circuit Circles: Covenants with Technology-Tristan Blalock
2nd, 3rd, 4th Sundays, 5-7 pm in Social Hall (1-2 hrs, flexible)
Examining concepts of modern science and technology to understand the purpose, function, and philosophy within them.
These are 3-part monthly lessons on technology concepts include:
1. Interactive activity, with examples and dialog.
2. 2.Technical discussion on details.
3. 3. Philosophy, free and respectful discussion on merits, pitfalls and challenges of technology
May Lessons-001: Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency
Check the calendar at lakecountyuu.net for more information.
Send announcements for next Sunday by Wednesday to Shainah at email@example.com
Old announcements are italicized for your clarification.
Care and Connect Commitee :
Rev. Tracie Barrett-Welser 863-206-9086 firstname.lastname@example.org
Lois Sanford 352-801-7683 email@example.com
Debbie Miller 352-315-4234 firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to contact them if they can help you.